Cabbage is a vegetable that can be eaten raw or cooked, for example, can be a side dish or main ingredient. It’s a rich source of vitamins and minerals as well as little in calories, and low in fat, making it a great ally in the process of losing weight and strengthening the immune system, for example.
This plant can also be classified as your texture in a smooth, crisp, and color, such as purple and white. Both the red cabbage and the white have the same benefits, but red cabbage has the highest concentration of phosphorus and selenium, while the white one is rich in vitamin A and folic acid, for example.
Benefits of Cabbage
Cabbage is a vegetable rich in vitamins and minerals and possesses many health benefits, one being the primary:
- It strengthens the immune system, as it is rich in vitamin C and anti-oxidants;
- It prevents heart disease, it has antioxidants and it prevents the cholesterol from being absorbed in your body, lowering your levels of cholesterol;
- It helps to control the blood pressure because it promotes the removal of sodium in the urine;
- It helps in the process of blood clotting since it supplies vitamin K which is essential for the coagulation cascade;
- It improves your looks and it slows down the aging of the skin, like the antioxidants, prevents the accumulation of free radicals, preventing the appearance of brown spots on the skin, and expression lines;
- It helps with weight loss, since it is a plant of little-calorie, and high in fiber, vitamins, and minerals;
- It prevents problems of the stomach, especially gastritis since it is able to prevent the bacteria H. pylori is in the stomach and proliferate;
- It strengthens the bones because it is rich in calcium, magnesium, and potassium;
- It improves the functioning of the intestine, as it is rich in fiber.
Cabbage leaves can be helpful in controlling the inflammatory process, in addition to being able to assist in the treatment of rheumatism, gout, and nausea, and to prevent the occurrence of sores.
The consumption of cabbage has lots of contra-indication, since it is a vegetable, is very rich nutritionally, and that it has a number of benefits, however, its consumption in excess may lead to the increase of greenhouse gases, as it has too much sulfur in their composition, which may be a little out of place. In addition, women-breast-feeding should also avoid consumption of cabbage, as it may cause colic in the baby. Therefore, it is recommended that the registered dietitian indicate the amount and the manner of consumption, the most suitable for you.
The following table provides the nutritional information for 100 grams of cabbage, raw.
|Carbs||The 4.3 g|
|Dietary fiber||2.5 g|
|Vitamin C||Figure 36.6 mg,|
|Vitamin A||The 10 mcg.|
|Calcium||A 53 mg|
|Phosphorus||The 32 mg|
|Iron||Of 0.57 mg|
|Sulfur||To 32.9 mg,|
Recipes with cabbage
In spite of the benefits of cabbage are due to the consumption of the vegetable is raw, it is possible to consume the cabbage in a variety of ways, and make the most out of the nutrients that may have benefits. The cabbage leaves can be used as an accompaniment or as an ingredient in some dishes, such as, for example:
1. Cabbage au gratin
The cabbage gratin is a healthy and quick if you eat the cabbage, and is a great accompaniment to your healthy lunch, for example.
- 2 buds;
- 1 onion;
- 2 cloves of garlic, to taste.
- 1 carton of sour cream, or the cream of the cream;
- In 1.5 tbsp of the butter;
- Salt, to taste.
- The mozzarella’s light;
- 1 cup of milk.
Cut up the cabbage and put it in a pot of boiling water and leave for a few minutes until wilted. Meanwhile, melt the butter in another pan to sauté the garlic and onions must be cut into small pieces.
Then, add the cream, milk, salt and cheese and mix until completely blended. Then, add the cabbage, mix again, put into a serving dish and place in the oven. In addition to this, you can put grated cheese over the top before you take the dish to the oven.
Cabbage stir fry is also a great accompaniment to the meal.
- 1 head cabbage, sliced in strips;
- 1 clove of garlic;
- 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- 1 tomato, diced to cubes;
- 1 cup of sugar;
- 1 cup of corn
- To 50 ml of water.
First, you should put it in a pan with the olive oil, the garlic, and the chopped onion and the cabbage in the water. Season with salt and pepper and allow to simmer until cabbage is wilted. After that, put in the chopped tomatoes, the peas and the corn, mix well and serve.
The juice of cabbage helps in the process of weight loss and can be consumed every day, and it is mixed with other fruits, such as apples and oranges, for example.
- 3 leaves of cabbage;
- Juice of 1 orange
- In 500 ml of water.
Wash the cabbage leaves and beat into the mixture along with the orange juice. Then strain it, and sweeten it according to taste. It is recommended to drink the juice as soon as it’s ready to make the most out of the nutrients and benefits.