Kombucha is a fermented drink made from sweetened black tea that is fermented by yeasts and bacteria that are good for health, so it is a drink that strengthens the immune system and improves bowel function. Its form of preparation is similar to that of homemade yogurt and kefir, but black tea is used instead of milk as a fundamental ingredient.
Black tea with white sugar are the most used ingredients for making kombucha, but you can also use other herbs and additional ingredients, such as green tea, hibiscus tea, mate tea, fruit juice and ginger, to get a more flavor pleasant to the taste.
15 Main benefits of Kombucha
Kombucha originates in China and tastes like a sparkling apple cider, and its consumption brings the following health benefits:
- Contribute to lose weight because it regulates appetite and decreases obesity;
- Fight gastritis , by acting to eliminate the H. pylori bacteria, one of the major causes of gastritis;
- Prevent intestinal infections , by fighting other bacteria and fungi that cause diseases in the intestine;
- Ac as a detoxifier , by binding to toxic molecules in the body and stimulating their elimination through urine and feces;
- Relieve and prevent problems such as gout , rheumatism, arthritis and kidney stones, by detoxifying the body;
- Improve the functioning of the intestine , by balancing the intestinal flora having a laxative action;
- Balance the pH of the blood which makes the body naturally stronger to prevent and cure diseases;
- Reduce stress and fight insomnia , being a good option for periods of greater stress or tests;
- Reduce headache and migraine tendency;
- Improve the functioning of the liver , being a good option for after taking antibiotics;
- Strengthen the immune system , as it is rich in antioxidants and acts in the intestine;
- Prevent diseases such as diabetes and cancer because it improves the functioning of the whole body;
- Normalize blood pressure ;
- Decrease the symptoms of menopause ;
- Prevent urinary infections because it is a good source of fluids, which will produce more urine.
The benefits of kombucha are greater than when black or green teas are taken in their traditional form, which is why this drink has been used as a powerful health aid.
How to make Kombucha at home
To prepare the base of the kombucha, also called the first fermentation, you must do the following steps:
Ingredients for First Fermentation
- 3 L of mineral water
- stainless steel, glass or ceramic pan
- 1 cup refined sugar (white sugar)
- 5 black tea sachets
- 1 kombucha mushroom, also called Scoby
- 1 scalded glass container with hot water
- 300 ml of ready-made kombucha, equivalent to 10% of the total volume of kombucha to be produced (optional)
Wash hands and utensils thoroughly, using hot water and vinegar to help eliminate any contamination by microorganisms. Put the water in the pan and bring to heat. When the water boils, add the sugar and mix well. Then turn off the heat and add the tea bags, letting the mixture sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
Place the tea in the glass jar and wait for it to cool to room temperature. Then add the kombucha mushroom and the 300 ml of ready kombucha, covering the glass jar with a cloth and an elastic band, which will allow air to circulate without leaving the mixture exposed. Keep the bottle in an airy place without much light for about 6 to 10 days, at which time the final drink will be ready, with the aroma of vinegar and without a sweet taste. At the end of the process, a new kombucha colony is formed on top of the first, which can be kept in the refrigerator or donated to someone else.
Tastiest Kombucha Recipes
Also called second fermentation kombucha, kombucha can be flavored with ingredients such as ginger, pear, grape, strawberry, lemon, pineapple, orange and other fruits, bringing a new flavor to the drink and adding the benefits of fruits. Fruits and other ingredients must be added to the base kombucha already ready, and in this fermentation the drink will be carbonated, resembling a soft drink.
Lemon and Ginger Kombucha
- 1.5 liter of kombucha
- 3-5 slices of ginger
- half lemon juice
- 1.5L capacity pet bottle
Put the slices of ginger and lemon juice in a clean PET bottle. Add the kombucha in the bottle, filling well until completely complete, so that there is no air left in the bottle. Cover and let stand for 3 to 7 days, time necessary for a new fermentation, but in general the flavored drink will be ready after 5 days of fermentation. However, the drink creates gas quickly and some consumers already like the taste after just 24 hours of the second fermentation.
To make the kombucha with other flavors, paste beat the fruit in a blender, strain and add to the bottle together with the base kombucha, waiting after 5 days for the new fermentation that will give flavor to the drink.
Where to buy
Ready-to-eat kombucha can be found in health food and nutrition stores, and are available in both traditional and fruit and spice flavors.
Skoby, which is the mushroom or kombucha wafer with the fungi and bacteria responsible for the fermentation of the drink, can be found on websites or forums on the internet that offer skoby for free, just like with Kefir. As a new skoby is formed at each fermentation, kombucha consumers often donate their skobys to others who wish to make the drink at home.
See also the benefits of kefir , another culture of good bacteria that help you lose weight and prevent disease.Share this